Fire Outbreak Kills Girl, Destroys Properties In Enugu

0
80
Burning van with large flames and black smoke



An incident has killed an eight-year-old girl while properties worth millions of naira were destroyed at Ugwuaji community in Enugu South Local Government Area in Enugu State.

According to News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), the Enugu State Chief, Fire and Rescue Officer, Chief Okwudili Ohaa, who confirmed the incident, said that, the State Fire Service responded promptly after receiving the alert about the inferno, which started at about 8:30 p.m on Wednesday night, 2rd of January, 2022, within Umunnaugwu Quarters of the community.

Chief Ohaa disclosed that, the Fire Service Men rescued the rest of the 10 rooms in the bungalow of about 14 rooms, adding that, the inferno totally burnt down three of the rooms.

He noted that, the timely intervention of their fire team and engines helped to rescue the remaining rooms in the bungalow.

He reiterated that, before they could get to the scene, unfortunately, the fire had engulfed one of the rooms, where a little girl was sleeping in.

The Fire and Rescue Chief Officer however sympathised with family members of the deceased and pray to God to grant them the fortitude to bear the loss

Mr Lazarus Anya-Anike, grandfather of the deceased and landlord of the building, said that, the fire was caused by a candle light used for reading by one of his grandchildren preparing for secondary school common entrance examination

Mr Anya-Anike disclosed that, his grand daughter, Ifunanya (8), who lost her life in the incident, was inside the room sleeping while other children fled when the fire started and they shouted for help as it was beyond their control.

He added that, the fire Service Men’s intervention helped to stop the fire razing the entire building.

He appealed to the State Government and public-Spirited individuals to come to his family’s aid as the fire destroyed all his family belongings.


Newsflagship readers are solely responsible for their comments, Their comments does not represent the views of the admin. We have a comment policy, if we find your comment insultive and not good for others to read, we will be forced to remove it. Thanks.....keep commenting, we love them

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here