Ogun State Governor, Prince Dapo Abiodun has relaxed the lockdown in the State to allow the return of economic activities in the State, with a warning that the pandemic was far from over.
Governor Abiodun stated this during a press briefing in his office at Oke-Mosan, Abeokuta, saying the relaxation was as a result of the peculiar and geographical location of the State, as well as the need for the people to have opportunity to carry out their economic activities.
“In consideration of the need to increasingly allow economic activities after consultations with stakeholders, the second phase of the ease of lock down will commence on the first of June, 2020. This new phase opens up all the five working days in the week, with only Saturday and Sunday as the lockdown days”, the Governor stated.
He added that the presidential curfew, between 8pm and 6am was still in force, warning against violating the COVID-19 protocol, as the relaxation was not a license to believe that the virus was no longer existing in the State.
The Governor disclosed that the State had recorded 59 new cases in the last six days, bringing the total number of positive cases to 242, with 12 cases treated and discharged, additional three deaths brought the total deaths to nine, leaving the State with 133 active cases.
Prince Abiodun stated that the testing capacity had been boosted to 650 with the accreditation of its Molecular Laboratory in Sagamu and mobile laboratory by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), adding that 10,900 people had been screened, while 1,562 cases have tested.
Governor Abiodun revealed that 235 violators were apprehended and prosecuted by Mobile Courts, 64 vehicles impounded for various offences which included inter-state travel ban and presidential curfew violations.
“People should realise that compliance has direct bearing with their own safety and that of their loved ones. It is not a favour to the State, it is something that directly safeguards the individual”, he said.
The Governor maintained that inter-state travel ban, wearing of face mask in the public, as well as operational guidelines for the transporters, were still in force, urging industries to comply with the infection prevention and control guidelines issued by the Ministry of Health.
He said a task force to randomly conduct on-the-spot checks on industries, restaurants and other business premises had been set up, warning that violators of safety protocols would be treated as threat to collective well-being of the people and sanctioned.