The Alake and Paramount Ruler of Egbaland has commended President Muhammadu Buhari administration for reviving and modernizing the Railway system as a mass transportation system.
Oba Adedotun Gbadebo made the observation while speaking at the Textron of the Lagos/Ibadan Standard Gauge system between Lagos to Abeokuta at Laderin mega Railway station.
The Alake said that the Railway system as a means of mass transportation has always existed in all Nigeria development plan before and after Nigeria Independence but all the gains of that system were politically, economically and socially destroy during the first republic.
Oba Adedotun noted that even though the first railway system which the Egba nation enjoyed in 1906 was set up by the colonial government for their own economic benefit to get raw materials from the internal, the Egbas as well as Nigerians enjoyed the economic and transportation development.
The Alake said that the Egba nation was very grateful to President Muhammadu Buhari, the vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, Ogun State, the Honorable minister of transport, Rotimi Amachi as well the national Assembly especially, Senator Gbenga Asafa, chairman senate committee on land transportation for making the modern rail system passed through 70 percent of Egba territory that is, Iju in Lagos and Ibadan boarder near Ogunmakin.
The Alake also commended Egba for bearing who under force labour clear the Rail track between Lagos and Ibadan.
He also appreciated the Honorable minister of transport, Chief Rotimi Ameachi for prompt settlement of all the Egbas whose properties were affected by the new Railway system.
Oba Gbadebo also noted that the current administrator had laid foundation for an enduring economic and social transport foundation in which the Egbas and Ogun State people as well as other Nigerians would benefit.
In his own remark, the Ogun State Governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun remarks that President Muhammadu Buhari deserves re election in order to complete the economic and social transportation which he had stated and Ogun State was a major beneficiary.
Senator Ibikunle Amosun also drew the attention to the problematic Lagos Ibadan road which was badly handle by the past administration but now been put right permanently by Buhari’s administration.
Amosun therefore called on the people of Ogun State to show appreciation to President Muhammadu Buhari administration by voting massively for APC so that the President and team would complete the economic and social program which they had stated to enjoy in Ogun State.
In his welcome address, the honorable minister of transport, Chief Rotimi Ameachi disclosed that Ogun State was one of the major beneficiaries of Buhari’s administration in the land transportation program of the Federal government.
He noted that, both Lagos/Ibadan express way and the new Lagos Ibadan standard gauge railway traversed was by almost 90 percent leaving the remaining 10 percent for Lagos and Oyo State.
He pointed out that all the effort and positive result of President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration should be rewarded by Ogun State indigenes by ensuring that Buhari is re elect through their total support.
The transportation minister specially commended Senator Ibikunle Amosun for his support in the acquisition and payment of the individual communities whose land and properties were constructed.
Adding that, it was only in Ogun State that the Federal ministry did not experience and difficulty of land harassment for the project.
The novel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka, while appreciating the economic potential that modern transportation would give to the people, argued that the Textron of the standard gauge railway system between Lagos and Abeokuta as well as 12 weeks free ride by commuters, might look like a political campaign action.
Professor Soyinka however said that the Lagos/Ibadan Standard Gauge Railway system will give social and economic benefit to the people.
On the sidelines of the ceremony, the residence of Laderin estate protected that the Rail line had divided their community into two.
They carried placard appealing to the Federal Ministry of transport to construct an over head bridge that would link their community together.