LAGOS – The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has declared tomorrow, Tuesday January 8, as protest and mobilisation day across the country, not commencement of strike.
In a press statement by its Secretary General Comrade Peter Ozo Eson, the union said the date for the commencement of the strike action in reaction to the delay in transmitting the recommendation of the Tripartite Committee on a new minimum wage to the National Assembly by President Mohammadu Buhari will be declared later.
“It has come to our attention that some section of the news media has largely misrepresented our action plan in reaction to the delay in transmitting the recommendations of the Tripartite Committee on a new National Minimum Wage to the National Assembly by President Mohammadu Buhari.
“It should be recalled that the National Executive Council of NLC met on 17th of December last year and directed that we hold nationwide mobilisation of workers and our allies if by 31st December 2018 the bill on the National Minimum Wage has yet to be sent to the National “Assembly to be passed as an Act of Parliament.
“We immediately announced then that on Tuesday, 8th January 2019, there will be a nationwide mass mobilisation and protests simultaneously across all states in Nigeria. This does not translate to a strike.
“It is on record that each time we had cause to embark on a national strike, we say so publicly without any equivocation. We still don’t understand where the story about a strike commencing tomorrow came from,” he said.
Ozo Eson said already, all their State Councils, affiliate unions and allies in other pro people mass organisations now popularly referred to as Civil Society Organisations have been fully informed and mobilised to ensure the success of tomorrow’s mass protests in all the states and the Federal Capital Territory.
“When a date is decided for the commencement of a strike subsequently, we will inform the public appropriately,” he said.